Amelia Island Local Arts and Culture
Amelia Island may be secluded; however, the connection local residents have to the arts connects the community to world-class culture. From theater and art displays to Amelia Island's famous festivals, local residents enjoy the arts throughout the year.
Amelia Community Theatre
Founded in 1981, the Amelia Community Theatre puts the community on stage by encouraging auditions and show participation. The ACT Guild, a group of volunteers committed to the theater's success, readily welcomes new members to help the theater with ushering, opening night festivities, refreshments, promotions, organization, and fundraising events.
The theater hosts a variety of shows for both children and adults. Everyone is encouraged to participate by auditioning for a role in a performance or helping as a backstage crew member.
Performances and show times vary throughout the year. Tickets are $20 for adults, or season passes can be purchased. The Amelia Community Theater is located at 209 Cedar Street in Fernandina Beach. For more information, call (904) 261-6749.
Blue Door Artists
Located in historic downtown Fernandina Beach, the Blue Door Artists showcase a wide collection of local contemporary art. There is a variety of items in many genres to fit every taste and budget.
The shop features on-site local artists actively working in their respective arts. From painters and sculptors to basket weaving, the studio is alive with creativity. Most of the artists can be commissioned to create pieces based on specific customer requests.
The studio is open from 11:00 am to 5:00 pm Monday through Saturday, and is often open on Sundays during peak season. You can find the Blue Door Artists at 205 1/2 Centre Street, or by calling (904) 491-7733.
Festivals on Amelia Island
At the center of Amelia Island's cultural experience is the many festivals held throughout the year. From literature to gardening, here are some local favorites:
- Amelia Island Book Festival. Each February, authors gather to give talks, lead workshops, and perform readings representing all genres of literature for both adults and children.
- Amelia Island Garden Show. More than 50 florists from Florida gather every March to showcase flowers, trees, herbs, and shrubs to area attendees. Experts are available to answer home gardening questions.
- Isle of Eight Flags Shrimp Festival. This is one of the most popular festivals on Amelia Island. This three-day festival is held the first weekend of May and celebrates the island's history of shrimping by offering a variety of seafood along with showcasing the area's local artists and their paintings, photographs, jewelry, and sculptures.
- Amelia Island Chamber Music Festival. This nationally acclaimed music festival features performers from around the world. A wide variety of performances include traditional chamber music, string quartets, and nontraditional American folk music. The festival spans several weeks in May and June and many free concerts are available.
- Amelia Island Jazz Festival. Celebrate for an entire week every October with jazz performances of every style including swing, bebop, Dixieland, and big band. Stages are present around the island with many performances each evening.
With so much going on all around the island, it becomes easy to enjoy the cozy, secluded paradise of Amelia Island without ever feeling distant from the best art, music, and entertainment from around the world.
If you are in the market for Amelia Island real estate, Watson Realty Corp is ready to help in your search for a new home. Contact us today.