Shopping for a house? Here’s a checklist for prospective home buyers.
Outside the home:
- Are adequate shopping facilities close by?
- Are places of worship convenient?
- Is the community well planned?
- Are police and fire protection adequate?
- Are schools located to suit you?
- Is a hospital or medical center nearby?
- Are recreational facilities nearby?
- Are there adequate parking spaces and garage facilities for your needs?
- Is the land well drained?
- Is the sewage system reliable and adequate?
- Does the property require flood insurance?
Inside the home:
- Do walls seem sound and smooth, floors firm and level, carpentry well fitted and joined?
- Is lighting good during both the day and night?
- Are rooms large enough for your furniture? Is there sufficient wall space for arranging furniture?
- Is the floor plan laid out well with separate areas for living, working and sleeping?
- Do bedrooms and bathrooms provide quiet and privacy away from the living area?
- Does the kitchen have adequate lighting and ventilation? Are there enough outlets for plugging in all your kitchen appliances?
- Are there ample cabinets and counter work space for your family needs?
- Are closets and storage space adequate for your needs?
- Do doors, windows and drawers work easily and safely?
- Does plumbing work smoothly and quietly with adequate water pressure and free-flowing drains?
- Is heating, cooling and ventilating equipment satisfactory?
- Are there enough electrical outlets with sufficient amperage for your equipment?
- Are rooms located to take advantage of sun and shade?